The Catholic Charities Appeal was founded in 1941 by Archbishop Beovich. It is a Diocesan Appeal to help people in our community.
Originally the Appeal was established to support the four orphanages in the Diocese:
- The Orphanage of St Vincent de Paul which was originally founded in 1866 was transferred to Goodwood in 1888 under the care of the Sisters of Mercy.
- St Joseph’s Orphanage Largs Bay was founded in 1903 under the care of the Sisters of St Joseph.
- The industrial Home for Boys at Brooklyn Park. About this time it became known as Boys Town and was under the direction of the Brothers of St John the Baptist.
- The Foundling Home for infants in association with the Refuge at Wattle Street, Fullarton, was run by the Sisters of St Joseph until 1963 when the Daughters of Charity took over. It has now become Louise Place.
(The Refuge was founded by Mother Mary MacKillop in 1868 and moved to Fullarton in 1901).
As social circumstances changed, so too did the approach in caring for children in need. The large orphanages were closed and children were cared for in family-type homes.
This and other factors led to an increase in the number of Catholic welfare agencies providing for the different needs of children and families.
A call for increased giving to the Catholic Diocesan Charities Appeal was made. Archbishop Gleeson was then able to include these other agencies in the Appeal.
Catholic Charities Media
“Never see a need without doing something about it” was one of the sayings of St Mary MacKillop and is what drives us to assist struggling families and individuals in our own community.
This short video will give you some idea of the type of work our charitable agencies do and with your support Catholic Charities can ensure that these works will continue and grow.
Making a positive impact on those around us is what lies at the heart of Living Catholic.
Please click the link below:
Click here: Catholic Charities Video
Also please click here for Catholic Charities interview
on Arch D radio (107.9 Life FM)