About the Archdiocese
In 1842 Rome subdivided the vast diocese of Sydney thereby creating the diocese of Adelaide and Bishop Francis Murphy (1842-1858) was appointed as the first Bishop of Adelaide and consecrated in Sydney on 8th September 1844.
Adelaide remained remained a Suffragan of Sydney until 1887 when following a recommendation from the Bishop's Plenary Council of 1885, Adelaide was made an Archdiocese by Rome. The documents arrived in Australia in 1887 and Adelaide’s fourth Bishop, Bishop Christopher Reynolds, became the first Archbishop on 10th May that same year.
The Diocese of Port Augusta became a separate diocese on the same day Adelaide became a Metropolitan Archdiocese, and the new [Pt Augusta] diocese then became a province of the Archdiocese of Adelaide.
In 1951 the seat of the Port Augusta Diocese was moved from Port Augusta to Port Pirie, and became part of the Port Pirie Diocese; Port Pirie is a Suffragan Diocese of Adelaide.
Archbishop Philip Wilson became the eighth Archbishop of Adelaide on the 3rd. December 2001. The Archdiocese of Adelaide, covers an area of 105,000 sq. km in the south of the state.
Bishops and Archbishops of Adelaide
Bishop Francis Murphy, 1844 – 1858
Bishop Patrick Geoghegan, 1859 – 1864
Bishop Lawrence Sheil, 1866 – 1872
Bishop Christopher Reynolds, 1873-1887
Archbishop Christopher Reynolds, 1887 – 1893
Archbishop John O’Reily, 1895 – 1915
Archbishop Robert Spence, 1915 – 1934
Archbishop Andrew Killian, 1934 – 1939
Archbishop Matthew Beovich, 1939 – 1971
Archbishop James Gleeson, 1971 – 1985
Bishop (Auxiliary) Philip Kennedy, 1973 – 1982
(Auxiliary Bishop to Archbishop Gleeson)
Archbishop Leonard Faulkner, 1985 – 2001
Bishop (Auxiliary) Gregory O’Kelly, 2006 - 2009
(Auxiliary Bishop to Archbishop Wilson)
Archbishop Philip Wilson, 2001 –