Documents relating to:
- The administration of the Archdiocese since its inception
- Parishes (general information only)
- Lay Associations (general information only)
- Religious Orders (general information only)
- Microfiche and digital copies of various church registers; baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations with many gaps across all registers (closure periods apply)
- Catholic newspapers, including The Southern Cross (1889 - current); The Witness (1957 – current), and L'Osservatore Romano, (1968 - current)
- Photographic collection of persons, places and events
- The Official Directory of the Catholic Church in Australia, 1841 - current (with some gaps)
Accessing the Archives
Use of the Archives is by appointment only and there is charge for research visits and other services (refer to Policies and Forms)
Opening days and times: Monday to Friday, excluding Wednesdays; 9.30am - 4.30pm
To enquire about available services and resources email Archives and Records Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively telephone 8210 8115. The archive usually requires at least a week's notice to arrange appointments.
Conditions of Use
Bona fide students and other researchers may be given access to the archives under the following conditions:
a) That they apply in writing to the Archivist for permission to view the documents they require, using the form “Application for Access to the Archives”, (please refer to our Policies and Forms webpage). They must state clearly the nature and purpose of their research and must abide by the decision given.
Family History Research Policy
The archive has a responsibility to prioritise management of the records of the Archdiocese in accordance with archival best practice and as a private collection in ways that directly support the work of the Archbishop.
Our policy therefore is to, in the first instance, direct family historians to where resources are available for public use.
Family historians are not required to complete the form 'Application for Access to the Archives'.
Email Archives and Records Services at email@example.com to enquire about relevant holdings.